Website for the Revue de Médecine Vétérinaire

Detail of the article

[Back]

For articles published from January, 2000, you can reach the complete article as a pdf file by clicking on "pdf " in the column "Links" of the table.

Year : 2006
Tome : 157
Volume : 6
Pages : 331-335
Title : Use of peritoneography (positive contrast cheliography) and ultrasonography in the diagnosis of diaphragmatic hernia : review of 35 cats
Authors : M. KIBAR, A. BUMIN, M. KAYA and Z. ALKAN
Summary : This study was aimed at the evaluation and practical use of findings obtained from direct radiography, peritoneography (positive contrast cheliography) and ultrasonography in cats referred to clinic upon suspicion of hernia diaphragmatica. The study material comprised of 35 cats of different breeds, age, and sex (19 females, 16 males) with suspected diaphragmatic hernia between the years 2002 and 2004. The period between the occurrence of the traumatic incident and the admission of the animal to the clinic ranged between 1 and 15 days in 30 (86%) cats. The remaining 5 (14%) cats were referred to our clinic within 1-3 months following the trauma. Ultrasonographic examination revealed the protrusion of abdominal organs into the thoracic cavity in 33 (94%) cases among 35 cats suspected to have diaphragmatic hernia. The contrast material injected into the peritoneal cavity was determined to pass into the thorax in 33 (94%) cases. The contrast material was not able to pass into the thoracic cavity in 2 (6%) cases due to the presence of adhesions. In conclusion, in cats referred to clinic upon suspicion of hernia diaphragmatica, the joint evaluation of peritoneographic and ultrasonographic findings was considered to yield more accurate results.
Keywords : Peritoneography - hernia diaphragmatica - cat
Correspondence : M. KIBAR
Adress : Departments of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Erciyes, 38090, Kayseri, Turkey. E-mail : muratkibar@erciyes.edu.tr
Link : pdf

[Back]